Are you an apartment dweller, condo owner, or just someone who wants to optimize the space you live in? If so, then a portable washing machine might be the next purchase you consider for your unit. Portable washers and dryers are more affordable than their larger cousins and can still wash and dry an impressive amount of laundry for their size. Plus, these portable machines can be easily stored away before and after use, making them the perfect choice for anyone working with limited space.
The Best Portable Washing Machine Units By Rating and Price:
Panda Small Compact
Portable Washing Machine
- 17 Review(s)
- The Panda Portable Washer is the #1 seller on Amazon, and has received an incredible average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars from customer reviews. Customers love its affordable cost (its price tag is lower than most comparable portable washers), and the fact that it comes with a spin-drying compartment built right next to the wash tub.
If you’re looking for a portable washing machine that will get the job done right on a budget, the Panda Portable Washer is a great choice.
- Haier HLP21N Pulsator 1-Cubic-Foot Portable Washer
- 6 Review(s)
- This Haier portable and compact washer has 3 electric-controlled water levels, and 3 wash cycles so you achieve the perfect load every time. Its stainless steel tub holds up to 6 lbs. of clothes—the perfect amount for baby clothes, delicates, or kitchen towels. You can quickly connect to the sink with a handy adapter, included in your installation kit. Plus, when you’re all done, just roll the washer away into a closet on its included casters.
If you’re looking for a solid portable washer that’s incredibly portable, The Haier is for you!
- midea MAE50-1102PSS Top Loading Portable Washer
- 32 Review(s)
- The Midea portable washer is the perfect option for smaller apartments and tight living quarters where every inch of space counts. This top-loading washer features three water temperature combinations, including hot/cold, warm/cold, and cold/cold… as well as 6 cycles and 6 water level settings. The Midea offers you the versatility of saving water while still being able to clean various fabrics. The unit is mounted on two wheels, so it can be easily rolled to the sink for quick water hookup.
If you’re looking for a reliable, versatile washer for a smaller space, the Midea portable washer could be the perfect fit for you!
What is a portable washing machine?
A portable washing machine is just what its name implies – it’s a smaller version of a full washing machine that can be easily moved into your main living area when needed, but stored away in a closet when you don’t. Portable washing machines hook directly into a standard faucet via an adapter, and drain water through a tube you leave right in your sink. Drying options are up to you – line dry, drying rack, or the dryer downstairs. Whatever you choose, depending on your situation and how much laundry you do, a portable washing machine will save you time, stress, and money.
- Cost – a portable washing machine can range anywhere from under $200 to around $350, and most are reliable, quality appliances that are able to handle the average individual’s laundry needs. These machines are certainly less expensive than a regular-sized washing machine, and are always available right when you need them to be – unlike shared laundry in many large apartment and condo complexes.
- Convenience – imagine being able to do laundry in your apartment, or even your room, without the need for laundry hookups or quarters! You can do laundry whenever you want, without ever leaving your place. This is great for new parents, busy professionals, and anyone not comfortable with leaving their laundry at the mercy of unknown neighbors and strangers.
- Travel – Many people who buy a portable washer and dryer set take their unit with them when they go on vacation or travel. Imagine going camping for more than a few days and having a washer or dryer with you! Especially if you plan on being active, and you have a trailer or RV, you can keep your clothes fresh and smelling great, and you won’t have to pack as much!
- Capacity – One of the most obvious issues with portable washers are that they cannot do as much laundry as a traditional machine. Most of the portable washers can clean up to 10 lbs. at a time, which is around half the capacity a regular washer can handle.
- Setup – Another potential con of portable washers is the setup involved before you can use it. There’s no water line installed, and so before you can use it, you’ll have to either fill up your machine from the sink, or use a bucket or another source to fill your washer.
- Space – This might seem counter-intuitive, but if you live in a VERY small space, you might not want anything taking up more room than you need. However, remember that you can also store items on top of your machine, or store your machine underneath shelving or raised furniture.
Why invest in a portable washing machine?
If you’ve lived in a condo or apartment before, you know that many buildings provide on-site laundry rooms – though some, unfortunately, do not. A portable washing machine is the obvious choice for any dwelling that doesn’t have its own washing machines on-site, but even for buildings that do, investing in a portable washing machine might be well worth the up-front cost.
Consider this: if you have a laundry room, it might be an inconvenient distance from your unit, and it could be coin-operated and always full. If you have a baby on the way, or your mobility is limited, or you just want the convenience of being able to do laundry on your own terms, a portable laundry unit could be perfect for you.
Portable washing machine reviews: how to pick the best washer for you
When considering the best and worst portable washers for your situation and needs, there are several aspects to consider:
Design & portability
One of the first things to think about when starting your search for a washer is its design and portability. Both of these aspects are often the main reasons why someone wants to purchase their first (or next) unit. Some of these features include:
- Height, width, and depth (adjustable feet?)
- Weight (cubic ft.)
- Capacity and maximum spin (RPM)
- Included faucet adapter
- Casters and cabinet handles (for maximum portability)
- Noise reduction plate
- Pulsator (this is a disc at the bottom of the tub that spins to wash the clothes – it allows you to wash more clothes at once)
Cycles and wash settings
When comparing prices and washers, you should note the number of features and wash cycles the unit offers. More cycles offer more versatility, and also help reduce water waste and energy use. Some of the most common cycles are: Heavy Cycle; Delicate Cycle; Quick Cycle; Spin Only; and Soak Only (this last one isn’t included often on portable washing machines).
Also don’t forget about water level settings! These are important as it allows you to set how much water you need to clean your laundry effectively. The best washers often have six options of water levels.
When determining what portable washer is best for you, don’t forget about the little features that can make a big difference. Most people don’t enjoy doing laundry—many put it off until the last possible moment. While the convenience of having a portable washing machine might make laundry less of a chore, you still want to make it as easy as possible. Some of the most sought-after ease-of-use features include:
- Remaining time indicator
- Delay start
- End-of-cycle signal
- Detergent and softener dispensers (most washers will have the first, the second is more rare)
For more options and information about portable washers, check out the reviews on our site. You’ll find helpful information that doesn’t just stop with a portable washer purchase. We hope that the information on our site is useful to you even after you choose your perfect washer. If you have any questions, or would like to see an article about a certain topic, please let the team know!